Sunday, May 15, 2011

Post-Talk

Dinner with Susan Vreeland and the talk that followed were two of the funnest things I did last week. This woman knows her stuff, and life as an author seems to come easily and naturally for her. She's easily able to make connections with the right people everywhere she goes. Her stories from Paris are just the best!


Our dinner at Mississippi Half Step in Grafton was amazing - I ordered scallops in a red wine reduction sauce, oooo it was good :). Our group talked like we were all equals, and friends. We had some great laughs and it was wicked fun. I learned a lot from Mrs. Vreeland. 


What I honestly can't wait for is to have the time in the summer to read her newest book, Clara and Mr. Tiffany. From what I learned in the talk, it was not just Louis Comfort Tiffany who made all the beautiful lamp shades and stained glass we see now. 



Clara Driscoll and her team of women contributed heavily to the beautiful creations that went out with Tiffany's name on them. I'm excited to read what life was like in New York at this time of great change - Electricity, the "first" skyscraper [though I think Chicago would disagree], and the growing independence of women. I'm also glad I can have a true connection to Tiffany glass. Before, I'd see a lamp and think "eh, its not that cool, or pretty", but Susan opened my eyes to the intense beauty and detail that goes into these lamps


It's as dynamic as a painting, if not more so! I'm very happy to be taught to love and appreciate something that I may not understand in the beginning because I'd rather love anything than wrongly think I hate it. 

Dear Summer, 

         Please come so I can go to Boston, start my internship, read books, wear my "grown-up clothes", eat good food, and see Red Sox games. 

Love, Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment