Sunday, May 1, 2011

I SOOOO did that...

Yep,


Lucia totally watched the Royal Wedding on Friday
She not only watched it, she woke up at 4:40am to do so...


[Thats me in the "front row" with the black fleece and glasses]

All I can say is that watching it at the MacCauley's house on campus, with hot tea, beautiful China, and delicious berry coffee cake was an amazingly fun time - one for the books. 
It's just fun to think that someday when I have kids and William and Kate become King and Queen I can tell them "your mum woke up at 4 in the morning to watch their wedding... and it was beautiful." I just can't wait for that :)

The dress was beautiful, the abbey looked gorgeous - aside from the amazing architecture [this art history major was in sheer ga-ga mode during the broadcast - the nave, the alter, the ribbed vaults, the columns - UGH!!! I was in awe] they decorated with mostly green from trees and plants with little flowers. It was like looking at a Gothic cathedral ruin - or Klosterruine Eldena by Caspar David Friedrich


See!!


I like their style. Even though this wedding could be seen as "for the people" I honestly thought it had some very personal touches by the couple. 

I loved everything. The Choir. The Speeches ["Every wedding is a royal wedding." Yes indeed!]. The hats! And her dress! 
I honestly hope that no one thinks her dress or this wedding has cast a shadow on all weddings - every bride will still be beautiful and every ceremony, no matter the cost, will still be simply perfect. Thats the best description I have for this historic and epic wedding: Simply Perfect

To all those people who think that excitement over this type of thing is silly and/or girly - here's why it's not:

~ It's history
~ It's beautiful [real men appreciate beauty]
~ Sometimes its fun to wake up at 4am, like for Christmas, or birthday breakies, or other things that force you to wake up early :)
~ Some of our mums watched Diana get married - and they loved it - this event is kind of like the grown-up version of trying on your mother's heels in her closet
~ It's a reason to throw a party
~ I'm half Austrlian [dual-citizenship], its in my blood, this is my monarchy as well :)

So to those of you giving us a hard time - give us a break! Then someday we won't give you grief over something that was exciting and really made you smile :)

To things that make us smile!!




1 comment:

  1. Lucia, I love all the "geeking-out" on art history that you have going on here. I totally didn't think of the Friedrich reference at all; brilliant!

    ReplyDelete