Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Backgrounds for My Mac - Dewi

[Just made up that name for my computer - Welsh Celtic God of Dragons..... nice]


Here's what I'm gonnu do:

I change the background of my laptop every so often. I try for once a week, to a different artwork, one that I like. It keeps me engaged and constantly interested in and searching for art - plus I get to learn a little history of the work once I find it. 

Well now what kind of blogger would I be if I did not include you in my weekly findings? 

Also, I think others should try this out - art is so important and it says so much [yes, art speaks - are you listening!?] and it's nice to mix it up - give our eyes something new to feast on.

This week:


Sorry if this doesn't fit your screen - but isn't it DIVINE!!!
It's so incredibly colourful, detailed, sumptuous, luminous, and incredibly opulent.
It shows The Roman Empire as we imagine it: as incandescently stunning, monumental, festive, architecturally meticulous and imposing. 

The facts for this painting:

Thomas Cole, The Course of Empire: Consummation, 1835-1836

What I learned:

Thomas Cole was an American painter. He was the founder of the Hudson River School. While he often painted epic landscapes depicting American land, this was from a series of allegorical works titled The Course of Empire. All five paintings are beautiful and you may even see the others another time. 
Until then - just marinate over this spectacular image... 

Well done Thomas Cole, well done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment