Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mum's Day


I'm not kidding! She really is the best!

~ She's wonderful
~ She's beautiful
~ She's strong
~ She's thoughtful
~ She's mega-multi-talented
~ She makes friends wherever she goes
~ She taught me everything I know
~ She's my example of a true woman


She's my Mum :)
[I told you ~ beautiful]

Although she's almost 10,000 miles away from me [wow that looks long typing it out like that] I have no problem feeling her love, warmth, care, and guidance every single day. Any moment someone expresses motherly-like qualities to me, I am reminded of my mum and that there is no way I could ever be without her and her expression :)
My oldest and youngest sisters are living with her in Australia and I know they gave her a very special day yesterday [that darn time change!] I know because not only did Caitlin cook an amazing breakfast and lunch for Mum and the family - she was kind enough to tag me and my other "yankee sister" in the pictures of the delicious food we did NOT get to eat.... thank you Caitlin....


I'm glad they spoiled her so much because she certainly deserves it. If you didn't do the math while I was discussing my sisters - Mum is a mother of FOUR DAUGHTERS


This has led to countless references to books/movies like Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women".... though I don't really like that one since I'm the one that DIES!! [woah, sorry, spoiler???]
A Mix of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility"
And to be famously known across the churches of the country as "The Rooker Girls"
It's hard to miss a family like ours - especially when my sisters and mother are so stunning!

Mum was always home when we needed her. She took care of us when we felt less than perfect. She made us matching sailor outfits when we were little, as well as other cute hand-sewn ensembles, crazy wire headbands and most recently - Monica's wedding veil :). Mum taught us all the best manners [she still reminds me that I'm such a "little piggy" whenever I burp]. She instilled in us the importance of family. Showed us the epitome of Motherly Love. And somehow she managed to raise four of the most independent and unique women I know.


I love my Mum more than words can say. 

Had I been in the same country as her - I would give her something that looks like this:

Some flowers [non-annoying ones] - her favorite chocolate


And a card [I used to make them with KidPix - this seems more age appropriate :)]

But this blog post is the best I can do for the wonderful women that is 
My Mother

Happy Mother's Day Mum 
                                                                            Love Always, 
                                                                                      Lucia

As fitting, I'll finish this with some of my favorite paintings of Motherhood:






[1] Mary Cassatt, Little Girl Leaning on Her Mother's Knee, 1901
[2] Mary Cassatt, Mother and Child XI, nd
[3] Mary Cassatt, Mother and Child, c. 1900
[4] Élisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun, Portrait of the Artist with Her Daughter, 1798
[5] Mary Cassatt, The Child's Bath, 1893

1 comment:

  1. nawww that is such a sweet post!!! and i was totally eating a cinnamon roll while i was reading it xP

    ReplyDelete